Ride Gobee on 27 October and Raise awareness for Breast Cancer
October is Pink Revolution Month
Next friday 27 October is Dress Pink Day and The Gobee Team are expressing their care by donating ALL proceeds from rides earned that day to the Hong Kong Cancer Fund (‘HKCF’). Such funds will go towards supporting free breast cancer care services that help patients and families live with, through, and beyond breast cancer.
Moreover, whoever rides our “Pinkie” (for those who are unaware, we have a pink Gobee.bike out there) on that day will earn 100HKD of free bonus riding credits.
Hong Kong Cancer Fund is Hong Kong’s largest cancer support organisation, providing free information and professional support to anyone living with or affected by cancer. While our goal at Gobee is to make life better for people by introducing a smarter and more efficient way for them to traverse short distances, HKCF’s goal is to make life better for people touched by cancer.
In light of the growing incidences of breast cancer, Gobee has decided to tie up with HKCF’s Pink Revolution, an annual breast cancer awareness and fundraising campaign. The Pink Revolution campaign aims to promote the importance of early detection and raise funds for free breast cancer support services. On Dress Pink Day, people across Hong Kong wear pink to raise awareness and funds to support women with breast cancer. Pink is the colour of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, a global campaign that takes place every October to raise awareness of breast cancer.
Some Local Statistics on Breast Cancer
- Since 1993, breast cancer is the most common cancer affecting women in Hong Kong.
- Breast cancer is the most common type of cancer and ranks as the third leading cause of cancer-related deaths for women in Hong Kong.
- Female breast cancer cases diagnosed in Hong Kong has tripled from 1,152 in 1993 to 3,868 in 2014. On average, about 10 women are diagnosed with breast cancer every day.
- The median age of breast cancer patients was 55 in Hong Kong, compared with the age of 61 in the US, 62 in Australia and 50 in Singapore.
- Lifetime breast cancer risk for females is 1 in every 16. In 2014, 57% of the women diagnosed with breast cancer were aged 40-59. The older the age, the greater the risk.
- Young people are not immune from the disease. The youngest case reported was below 20 years old.
What can you do to show that you care too?
- Simply pick up a Gobee bike that day and ride knowing that you are indirectly contributing to support free breast cancer cancer services. Hashtag #gobeepink.
- Hunt down our Pinkie to ride on 27 October and earn a bonus of 100HKD free riding credits from us (i.e. total of 10 hours).
- Dress pink for the month of October and send your photo/video to HKCF so they can put it up on their platform and raise awareness of breast cancer.
- Donate HK$120 or more to support a Pink Recover Pack which will go to the bedside of a breast cancer patient who has undergone surgery.
- Donate online here.